Sun and environmental damage, scarring, and the effects of aging can reduce the elasticity of your skin and thin out its layer of collagen. As a result, your skin may look and feel less smooth, clear, and healthy over time.
Microneedling is an advanced treatment that stimulates the skin cells and your body’s natural processes to repair this damage. As a result of treatment, you can expect a significant improvement in the texture and complexion of your skin, all within a matter of weeks of your care. Dr. Herbstman frequently combines microneedling for patients with advanced techniques such as broadband light (BBL) and Ultherapy® to provide even better results.
How Microneedling Works
Most skin care regimens have difficulty getting past the epidermal barrier: the outer layer of skin cells covering the body. As a result, damage at deeper layers of tissue may not respond to these treatments, which means that you may not see as significant an improvement in the signs of aging, scars, and blemishes.
Microneedling is so effective because it goes past the epidermal barrier, physically stimulating regeneration of the tissue at deeper levels. (Other treatments that Contemporary Plastic Surgery offers patients can stimulate this lower-level tissue bio chemically.) Here is an overview of how it works:
- The microneedling device penetrates the epidermal barrier.
- Growth factors are infused to the deeper layers of tissue. These factors may be plant-derived or based on your body’s own cells (platelet rich plasma “PRP”).
- The microneedling and growth factors stimulate new microcirculation at different layers of skin. This promotes collagen formation and elastin production reversing the effects of environmentatal damage and aging
As a result of treatment, you should benefit from skin that looks and feels healthier, smoother, and more youthful.
What to Expect with Microneedling
Contemporary Plastic Surgery prioritizes your comfort, safety, and satisfaction. Attractive outcomes go hand-in-hand with a great patient experience, which is why you can expect to receive warm and personal treatment during every visit.
We have designed our practice to give you time to get to know our staff and for us to get to know you. Beyond the enjoyment that we take in developing patient relationships, it also provides us with an opportunity to tailor your treatment more closely to your goals.
During your initial consultation at one of our offices, Dr. Herbstman will talk with you about what you would like to accomplish with treatment. If skin care is one of your priorities, our skin care specialist will join the consultation so that you will have the benefit of all our practice’s resources.
Microneedling is a non-invasive option for significantly improving the appearance and texture of skin. If Dr. Herbstman and the skin care specialist recommend this approach, we will provide you with information about treatment and answer any questions you have about the process.
Having microneedling done is a fairly straightforward experience that we offer at Contemporary Plastic Surgery’s offices. During your appointment:
- The skin care specialist will use the numbing medication in the areas that she will be treating. This will reduce your sensation and make the treatment more comfortable.
- The specialist will apply the microneedling patients describe the experience as relatively pain-free.
- Depending on your treatment plan, the specialist may also introduce growth factors at the same time as microneedling.
- For our advanced regenerative PRP treatments our nursing professionals will draw a blood sample and isolate the platelet rich plasma for infusion and/or injection into the tissues
The process takes about one half-hour for the majority of our patients. The most noticeable sign of treatment is mild redness that should disappear within a day or two. You can feel free to return to work or other normal activities right after your visit.
One week following your treatment, we invite you to return to Contemporary Plastic Surgery for a special exfoliating facial. This will help clear away dry skin that can initially develop during the regenerative microneedling process.
Patients usually have a series of 3-4 microneedling treatments, with the total number dependent on their skin condition and the severity of skin damage. By the end of the process, most see a major improvement in the texture, complexion, and healthy appearance of their skin.